Thursday, February 02, 2006

Port Grows

The need to mention the memory of the floods has broken my concentration, which is probably good, as it's time for a walk in the fresh air. Yesterday I was described as Eeyore the pessimistic donkey, and there's probably some truth in that. I'd argue against that label, I'm just a realist, one that has been kicked in the teeth too many times. I always bounce back, so there must be some good in me somewhere.

The other big story in Felixstowe was that the port has been given permission to expand, adding 1,300 metres of deepwater dock, with 13 new cranes. All this means money for a foreign-owned company, increased congestion and light pollution for Felixstowe residents. Nobody cares. Thatcher sold off this strategic resource to the Chinese, knowing that it brings 9% of our GDP into the country, and takes profit out. What happens if the port owners get nasty, or go bust?

Yes, I do need that walk in the fresh air.

Be back tomorrow with more history of the Metropolitan Police.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You nationalize them as the chinese did your British holdings in their country not that long ago. What's good for the goose or in this case the Peking Duck, is good for the gander or in this case the Grand (beats Great) Britian.