Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Chicken Soup

Do you remember the chicken stock we made a while ago? I hope you stored it away in the freezer, or it will have acquired a particularly unpleasant odour by now.


Stock can be added to anything that needs a sauce. I kept all the pieces of chicken in the stock made earlier, but they could have been removed by passing through a sieve (throw the meat into a curry), or if you want to remove everything pass the liquid through a piece of muslin, or a jelly bag. A coffee filter also works very well. They all take time, and, in my mind, remove the best bits, but I'm a strange person.


The simplest step forward is to throw in a good handful of pasta to make a nourishing soup; choose the small stuff - and shape you like, they are all made from the same ingredients, it's just that the Italians like to bring artistry to the table. That's not all, some pastas can carry more sauce than others (I'm sorry this is a digression, you are still thinking soup, and I've moved to pasta sauces). With spaghetti the sauce tends to run off, although it does have a large surface area.

There's a good game to play with children, make a sauce, cook a variety of pasta, and see how much sauce they will each absorb. Mathematics is cookery, or should that be the other way round?


I was picking blackberries and elderberries in a local park yesterday. A grandma, her daughter and the young grand-daughter all stood, watching. Eventually mum asked me, 'What's that you are picking?' I told her. 'Oh we didn't know whether they were poisonous or not, or what they were.' What a state this country finds itself in. Mum was grossly overweight, grandma in a wheelchair, again because of her weight, and the young girl looking as if she was going the same way. I started to talk about blackberry and apple pie, or using the elderberries to make a coulis, or even ice-cream, but could tell from the glazed eyes that food came from a supermarket, in a brightly coloured cardboard box.


Can we start a campaign to ban prepared food?


I thought not.



Don't forget the Herman - more about this lovely building tomorrow.

No comments: