Monday, August 22, 2005

It was a good weekend, the bad weather office were proved wrong. The promenade was full of people, and it's good to see that the area where once a tired old train went round and round a bare grass field is now buzzing with excitement. There's a wild west train, a canoe ride and now, this week for the first time, the rodeo ride. Let's hope the weather stays good for long enough for the entrepreneurial owner to recover his investment.
Such rides are attractive but I prefer to see more amusements that test the children, rather than just give them a passive ride. In that respect I'm keener to see the motorcycle ride - at least they do have to steer, although the track and its environs are looking rather weary. These rides and games bring people to the town even though I'm filled with dismay when my grandchildren want to spend money (often mine) on the fruit machines. My brain will just not allow me to accept that today's machines are better than the penny pinball games that were once found along the front. I suppose that has everything to do with age. As a child I believed I could beat the machines, and come home with more pennies than I took to the arcade. That wasn't true then, and it is certainly not true today. A penny has turned into 20p or more, and I find it painful to see that sort of money disappear, so quickly.
It's a sign I'm really getting old!

No comments: