Saturday, January 07, 2006

Writing on Demand

Writing on Demand
 
200 words she said, by today.
What do you say, but OK?
Then came that moment of panic,
the phone started to ring,
I knew who it was, and No,
I hadn't even started to do
THAT job yet . . .
and I had to get a new doorknob for the bathroom door -
No, no, no, don't go there, but it could be fun.
I needed a pee,
desperately
but decided that would set the deadline for me.
I'd write until I couldn't hold on any longer . . .
(besides the bathroom door would only swing open at the wrong moment.)
That had me thinking about
            Jenny
She danced and sang as my Teddy Bear,
said 'You are my Sunshine' from the lights of the stage
Soubrette made dreams
an acrobatic blonde dancing on my tender heart
in Skegness took my virginity without mention.
 
Too much of this world she knew
yet she sought not the sailor's game.
Was just a child of the 60's
doing what we all did then
'Where is the Love' was to blame.
 
The child that became
has now a much better name
than those that fumbled together in her creation.
Genteel and wed
to a producer of plays
closely watched by her lonely mother.
 
Happiness is always tinged with sadness, isn't it? Must get a new knob, after I've had that pee.
 
© Trevor Lockwood 2006

No comments: