Wednesday, June 28, 2006

NIMBY

It was such a lovely day, and my hay fever decided to stay at home, so I spent some time on the allotment this morning. It was glorious. I removed a few weeds, did a little digging, planted the rest of the leeks and took the centre 2-3 bulbs from the shallots. They are often very loose, ready to pick, and removal helps the remaining globes to expand a little more. Replanted some rocket, picked a few raspberries, dug up some potatoes and a couple of beetroot, and the world looked so much better.

Wish that was the case for everyone, but it's not the case. NIMBY is an acronym for Not In My Back Yard, and I keep wondering how I'd react if the Danes or Saxons (Germans), or even the Romans (Italians) suddenly turned up in East Anglia and said that God had given them this land, and as they had lived here hundreds of years ago they were going to take over this land.

I'd not be able to prevent that happening, because World Powers, would support these invaders. I'd be pushed, with the promise that I'd be able to form my own country on the piece of land the invaders didn't want.

My reaction would be 'sod off' you'll have a fight on your hands if you try.

The invader, with World Support, would disregard my protests, and invade more of my land, squashing me in to refugee camps, making me rely upon foreign aid in order to survive.

Somehow I'd be obliged to accept this situation.

Over my dead body.

More butter on your potatoes anyone? You'll need to keep your strength up, I've heard we are going to reclaim France next week.

No comments: