Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Rebuilding My Ether

It's as if I'm rebuilding my whole life. Recently I bought a new computer, loaded with Windows XP. I then downloaded a file that XP disliked, so that every time I opened a Windows folder (anything in the Start menu) XP crashed itself. Don't ask me why.

Result was that I've had to reload Windows XP - which (for some strange reason) means that everything else on my computer has to be destroyed and rebuilt.

At the last count I had 82 different log-ins that required a password - fortunately I maintain all those at my Yahoo email account - it works with my BTInternet account, and means that I never download emails to my computer - and with spam and viris protection it works well. (enough advertising)

At present I'm looking at screen with huge type, and can't make the sound system work, but I do have the wireless network working - just can't carry my desktop around the house with any ease or convenience.

Combine the rebuild with installation of a wireless network (which didn't work until I allowed a guy in southern India to operate my computer remotely - ain't it marvellous) and the news that my grandchildren plan to come to stay with me and I'm in panic mode.

Slowly making www.lockwoods.co.uk a place to visit - you can sign-in there, and if you are really good (or controversial) I'll allow you to upload articles etc to the site.

No comments: